Contact Us Today 713.588.9800

Wills & Estates

Wills and Estates

When a person dies in Texas, their loved ones will look for a Last Will and Testament which tells the courts and surviving family members how the property of the deceased is to be divided among surviving family and friends. While there may be a general idea of which individuals will receive certain items, there may be some disagreements about how assets should be distributed. Without a will and legal guardianship directives, a judge and the laws established in Texas will mandate the division of such property and the future guardianship of any minor children.  If you do not wish to leave these decisions up to a court that knows nothing about your wishes, you need an estate plan that clearly describes your desires.  A will, trust, or other estate planning documents provide your loved ones with direction on how you want your property handled and distributed upon your death.    Milligan Law can help you get your affairs in order and provide you with peace of mind knowing that your family will be protected after you pass away. 

Powers of Attorney

Power of Attorney is a legal document that gives someone else the legal power to act on your behalf while you are still alive. A person might need several types of powers of attorney over the course of their lifetime. These include the following: 

  • General power of attorney – a general power of attorney gives a person you choose the authority to act in a broad range of matters, such as your finances, if you become mentally or physically disabled or incapacitated and can no longer make decisions on your own.
  • Limited or special power of attorney – a limited or special power of attorney gives a person of your choice the authority to handle a specific matter for a limited period of time, such as closing on a new house for you if you are unavailable to do it yourself.
  • Medical power of attorney – a medical power of attorney, also called a living will, gives a person of your choice the authority to make medical treatment decisions for you if you become mentally or physically unable to make your own decisions. For example, people often create living wills allowing a particular individual to terminate their life support if and when the time is appropriate to do so. 

Protect Yourself, Protect Your Property, and Protect Your Decisions

Without a written power of attorney designating someone you trust to make life choices on your behalf, you may have someone (a doctor, a judge, an appointed executor) that doesn't know you or your family making those choices for you. 

It's never too early to create your will or your powers of attorney.  Contact Milligan Law and we can help you protect some of the most important decisions of your life.


Milligan Law, PLLC is committed to answering your questions about criminal defense, animal law, personal injury, family law, and wills & trusts in Texas.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.